AW: st: xtprobit clustered standard errors or gllamm

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: xtprobit clustered standard errors or gllamm
Date   Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:05:38 +0100

-xtprobit- doesn't allow computation of clustered SEs by any method
(even though there is a suggestion somewhere in the manual -- not to
hand -- that bootstrap SEs are possible).

So, you'll have to use -gllamm- (on SSC). Because of long estimation
times with -gllamm-, I recommend that you first estimate your model with
-xtprobit-, and then use the estimated parameters as starting values for
-gllamm-, that is using and manipulating saved matrix e(b). Note that
-gllamm- and -xtprobit- report the random effects variance in different
metrics: the former uses the variance of the RE; the latter uses the log
of the standard deviation of the RE (if I recall correctly). So, before
using -gllamm-'s from() option, you need to rename the column of the
starting values vector that corresponds to the RE (to the name that
-gllamm- expects), and also transform -xtprobit-'s estimate of the log
of the SD of the RE.

Example of code from my own work follows below. Note that the "cluster"
variable in my case is called "pid", so you'll need to change some names
in your own application appropriately:

mat b = e(b) // derived from -xtprobit-

mat li b

matrix b[rownumb(b,"y1"), colnumb(b,"lnsig2u:_cons")] =  sqrt( exp(
_b[lnsig2u:_cons]) )

mat li b

local n: colfullnames b
di "`n'"
local nnames : word count `n'
local last : word `nnames' of `n'
local n : subinstr local n "`last'" "pid1:_cons"

matrix colnames b = `n'

mat li b

di "`c(current_time)' on `c(current_date)'"
gllamm bu_SA $ind_var  $bu_var $waves ///
	 Lbu_SA	$ind_var1 $bu_var1 $interw ///
		$avgetvar2 bu_SA_1 if wave > wavefirst, i(pid) adapt
from(b) family(binomial) link(probit)
di "`c(current_time)' on `c(current_date)'"
mat list e(b)