Re: st: forvalues problem

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: forvalues problem
Date   Sun, 26 Aug 2012 07:50:53 +0100

Several errors here:

1. Evaluate r(N):

local nmbr = r(N)

Otherwise you are just copying the text "r(N)", not a good idea.

2. -in 1- is misplaced in the -replace- statement; it must be placed after the expression. Study the syntax diagram for -replace-.

3. The statement -local back ...- won't work for various reasons. You apparently intend something like

local back = ptile['i' - 1]

4. You must use 'back' to evaluate a local macro. This error was very recently explained to you.

Please note that I don't have a left single quote character on the device I am using.

These are the syntax or style errors evident on a quick reading.

Writing a loop to get a cumulative sum is also unnecessary as the function -sum()- will do that for you. But each cumulative probability is just _n/_N after sorting, although a decent program would need to think about ties and missing values
and support -if- and -in-.

Writing a do-file or program to draw a cumulative distribution plot is also unnecessary as (e.g.) -distplot- (SJ) has already been written.

On 26 Aug 2012, at 00:19, Morrison Hodges <> wrote:

I have the following code:

   Creating a cumulative distribution plot for use in PreFib analysis
   Created by MH on Friday, August 23, 2012
version 12.1

capture log close
set more off

use prefib.dta, clear

label data "PreFib Data"

summarize grpa_jumpnmbr /* to get the number of rows in grpa_jumpnmbr */ local nmbr r(N) /* gets the number of rows in grpa_jumpnmbr */ sort grpa_jumpnmbr /* sorts grpa_jumpnmbr from lowest to highest */ gen ptile = 0 /* new variable to place percentiles in */ gen dif = 1/`nmbr' /* generates the percentile difference to be added to each row */ replace ptile in 1 = dif /* lowest number is the lowest percentile */

forvalues i = 2/`nmbr' {

   local back = (ptile in (`i' - 1))
   replace ptile in `i' = back + dif

log close
I get a syntax error with this, but I don't know why. Thanks in advance for any help.