st: Real number vs number in variable

From   Morrison Hodges <hodge002@umn.edu>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Real number vs number in variable
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:10:11 -0500

This is simple, I'm sure, but I can't figure out the answer.

summarize grpa_jumpnmbr
local nmbr = r(N)
forvalues i = 1/18 {
    display `i'
}

summarize grpa_jumpnmbr
local nmbr = r(N)
forvalues i = 1/nmbr {
    display `i'
}

The first code works, but the second doesn't. I would be grateful if someone would explain why not.

Thanks, Morry Hodges