Re: st: factor variables and qreg?

From   "William Gould, StataCorp LP" <wgould@stata.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: factor variables and qreg?
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:01:08 -0500

Ariel Linden <ariel.linden@gmail.com> wrote,

> I wonder if any StataCorp people on the list could respond to this
> query [why qreg does not allow factor variables] with a definitive
> answer?

We at StataCOrp are working on making -qreg- with factor variables.
Maarten Buis <maartenlbuis@gmail.com> speculated

> -qreg- seems to have its own build-in maximization algorithm, which
> does not surprise me as it is a maximization problem with its own
> peculiar set of difficulties. So it is a lot more work to implement
> it.

Maartin is correct.  We're working on it now, however, and have been
working on it since before this thread arose.

-- Bill
wgould@stata.com