st: -import excel- file too big problem

From   Pablo Bonilla <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -import excel- file too big problem
Date   Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:29:54 -0400

Dear Stata list,

I am trying to open an excel file using –import excel- command and it
says that the file is too big. In first place I checked the size of
the file and it is 44,472 Kb which is less that 50 MB. On the other
hand the help file says that the size restriction if for .xlsx files
but it does not say anything about .xls files.  Also I tried the
traditional “copy and paste” technique and it worked very well and I
didn’t get any memory restriction from Stata, so the problem lays on
the –import excel- command. The problem of the “copy and paste”
technique (that is actually a big problem) is that I cannot do it for
more than 30 files. Do you guys have any idea??

Thank you so much.

----

Pablo Bonilla