Re: st: Missing Observations. Do I need multiple Imputations?

Subject   Re: st: Missing Observations. Do I need multiple Imputations?
Date   Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:40:12 -0500

At 01:44 AM 8/22/2012, A Loumiotis wrote:
Hi Gordon,

Since your aggregate variable is missing when at least one component
is missing I believe you would first need to multiple impute the
missing observations of your dataset and then compute your aggregate
variable.  I don't see a problem with multiple imputing variables such
as age or number of wifes.  In addition, your results might change if
your data are missing (conditionally) at random even if your non
missing sample is large.

Best,
Antonis

I believe what you are proposing is passive imputation and I don't think that is right. Rather, I suspect he should impute the aggregate variable the same way he imputes everything else. Counter-intuitive, perhaps, but for a discussion see

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-02/msg00602.html

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-02/msg00613.html

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227