Re: st: Re-assigning local macro values within loops after each iteration

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re-assigning local macro values within loops after each iteration
Date   Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:36:52 +0100

The Catch-22 here is that telling us part of your problem and showing
us part of your code is not enough for anyone to get a complete
understanding of your problem, while telling us all of your problem
and showing us all of your code would not really help, as you would be
unlikely to get anyone to invest time in understanding it all.

That said, there is an important misunderstanding here. The effect of

local N = _N
forvalues i = 1/`N' {

is to set up a loop with a particular upper limit that is fixed when
the -forvalues- loop starts. Changing the number of observations after
the loop has begun makes no difference to that, unless you change the
number in such a way that the loop terminates for other reasons. In
effect, you are "compiling" the number of observations into your code
when the loop starts, so that's fixed code.

My suggestion is that you may find it easier to set this up as a -while- loop.

local notdone = 1
local N = _N

while `notdone' {

}

with code within the loop to change

local notdone = 0

as appropriate. That certainly permits the number of observations to change.

That said, I am curious about the line

expand 2, gen(newvar`i')

which doubles the number of observations, just because of one
childbirth. Sounds like something out of the Alien* films to me, but
nothing like human demography? Shouldn't that -expand- be limited to
expansion of certain observations?

Nick