Re: st: Compound double quote

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Compound double quote
Date   Mon, 20 Aug 2012 17:12:25 +0100

I should add to that.

A major point here is that what -display- shows is always stripped of
quotation marks when those marks are used as delimiters, or more
precisely when it looks to Stata as if they are.

Forgetting about local macros, consider

. di "frog"
frog

. di `"toad"'
toad

The delimiters aren't shown. Their job was to be delimiters: to show
where literal strings begin and end, and their fate is to be ignored
on display (more precisely -display-).

As a related example, consider

. local 1 `""frog""'

"frog"

. di `1'
frog

Here the c.d.q. were used to insist that the " " were part of the
macro. You still have to be extra-careful to get them displayed.

Nick