st: xtnbreg does not converge while xtpoisson does

From   Anastasiya Zavyalova <>
Subject   st: xtnbreg does not converge while xtpoisson does
Date   Sat, 18 Aug 2012 14:20:17 -0500

I have a dependent variable, which is a count variable. The range is
from 0 to 800,000. When I run an xtpoisson with fixed effects it runs
well and, in fact, all my coefficients are statistically signifiant.
However, when I run an xtnbreg with a fixed-effects option (because
the variable is over-dispersed), I receive the following error
message: "discontinuous region encountered; cannot compute an
improvement; r(430);" What could be the reasons for this to happen?