RE: st: calls to pdf documentation

From   "Hoffman, George" <ghoffman@mcw.edu>
Subject   RE: st: calls to pdf documentation
Date   Sat, 18 Aug 2012 15:08:42 +0000

thank you kit. i'll pass this on to the nitro developers.
george
_________________________________
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] on behalf of Christopher Baum [kit.baum@bc.edu]
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 7:33 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: calls to pdf documentation

<>
On Aug 18, 2012, at 2:33 AM, George wrote:

> This is a question for stata developers. I've got stata-ic on windows 7/32; I have 2 pdf readers - adobe reader, and nitroreader. I have the latter set as my default for a variety of reasons.
> If I click on a hyperlink to stata manuals from within stata help browser, nitropdf hangs, and there appears to be a call to print the pdf. There are also hangs or crashes when certain hyperlinks are clicked within the pdf documentation.
> None of this happens if adobe reader is the default reader, so the simple answer is that this is not a stata problem. I was wondering it would be possible to see the call from stata help documentation to the pdf documentation so that I can pass that info on to the nitro developers.

I suspect this is the same problem that arose on Mac OS X when Stata pdf documentation first appeared. Most Mac users will have Apple's Preview as the default PDF reader, as it comes with the OS. A document like the full Stata reference manual, r.pdf, has 35,000+ hyperlinks to which on-line help can jump. Preview cannot cope with that (perhaps there is a limit of 32,767 that it can field?) whereas Adobe Reader or Acrobat can. So Stata's advice is to use Adobe Reader as the default app to access Stata's pdf documents. Perhaps nitroreader (have not heard of that one) has the same limitations.

Kit