st: RE: Re: how to read .sas7bdat in Stata

From   "Lynn Lee" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Re: how to read .sas7bdat in Stata
Date   Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:37:45 -0700

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Lynn Lee

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Gordon Hughes
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:09 AM
Subject: st: Re: how to read .sas7bdat in Stata

If you don't have SAS and don't know anyone with access to SAS, this
seems to be a clear case for using StatTransfer unless this is a
once-off operation.  SAS files tend to be complex and have a lot of
embedded information on labels, etc which StatTransfer will try quite
hard to preserve.  StatTransfer does not require that you have SAS on
your system.

Gordon Hughes

Dear all,

I am currently using ?usesas? command to try to read .sas7bdat data set in
Stata 11. But the Stata told me the following:

The usesas command uses the savastata SAS macro to load the SAS dataset into
Large datasets may take a few minutes.
Edit your sasexe.ado file to set the location *
of your SAS executable file. *
*! sasexe Version 2.3 11Apr2012
*! the carolina population center, unc-ch
  edit sasexe.ado (click, to edit the sasexe.ado file, remember to save when
  usesas requires that you have a working version of SAS on this computer.

I changed the location in sasexe.ado file to where I save the downloaded
?.sas7bdat? data sets. But the Stata still can not read the SAS data. What I
downloaded from website are all data sets in format of ?.sas7bdat? . My
computer does not have SAS software. I also downloaded from
website, but looks like this file is for SAS software, not for Stata

Now, I am stuck here. I appreciate for any suggestion about reading
.sas7bdat data sets in Stata.

Best Regards,