Re: RE: st: ado file help

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: RE: st: ado file help
Date   Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:46:51 +0000

On Aug 15, 2012, at 2:33 AM, Tashi wrote:

> in this code, 2 variables are created namely var1 and var2. So, I want to create a dataset using syntax options, which I did.  I would also like to have the flexibility of drawing graphs of the variables I want ( say for example tsline var1 or var2 or both)  or list the variables(say for example list var2 or var2 or both )  for that matter. What really sucks is syntax's limitation to only look backward. As I said, I could have syntax statement after creating dataset( and I am sure that wouldn't be that hard) but for this particular example, I need to define it before to create datasets on first place.

Stata has no trouble creating new variables within a program, even when there is no data in memory. As others have suggested repeatedly, Read The Effing Manual!  It will save a lot of bandwidth on the list.

. clear

. prog drop _all

. prog tashi
  1. version 12
  2. syntax newvarlist(min=2 max=2) [,OBS(integer 100)]
  3. drawnorm `varlist', n(`obs')
  4. end

end of do-file

. tashi one two
(obs 100)

. desc

Contains data
  obs:           100
 vars:             2
 size:           800
              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
one             float  %9.0g
two             float  %9.0g
Sorted by:
     Note:  dataset has changed since last saved

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |