Re: st: comparing coefficients using suest (same sample, same DV)

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: comparing coefficients using suest (same sample, same DV)
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:15:53 +0200

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Richard Williams wrote:
> Maarten, am I correct in saying that, if the indirect effect of the x1
> variable (in this case yr89) is statistically significant, you would
> conclude that b1 is different in the two models?

I think so, though I would normally not think in those terms when it
comes to this kind of models. I would tend to think of the indirect
through yr89 as a mechanism explaining (part of) the effect of ed on
warm. So I would think of the null hypothesis of this test as "the
mechanism contributes nothing to the effect of ed on warm".

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin