Re: st: tuples, stepwise and counting types of variables

From   Thomas Sohnesen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tuples, stepwise and counting types of variables
Date   Mon, 13 Aug 2012 20:24:21 -0400

Thanks Nick

For this exercise i'm not interested in the coeffiicents or their
meaning, i'm looking to find a parsimonouce model for predictions.
Any advice on a better alternative than stepwise?  Doing it manually
is not really an option as we will be running a lot of different
models. Further, though my data is organized in blocks i would like to
keep single variables if they are highly correlated with my dependent
variable. I believe SAS has an alernative in MAXR. Do you know if
stata has a similar alternativ?

Finally, no matter which alternativ we end up using, i still have the
challange of counting number of variables from each block in the final
model. Any insights on that?

thanks and best

Thomas