re: st: replace missing values of a variable with the median of that variable based on particular criterion

From   "Airey, David C" <david.airey@vanderbilt.edu>
Subject   re: st: replace missing values of a variable with the median of that variable based on particular criterion
Date   Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:23:45 -0500

.
Here is my try.

I'm curious, what did you try, and what were your problems?
For me, the difficulty was noting the save option to tabstat
and getting the statistic into a local.

-Dave

clear
input PersonID	Inc	Range
1	100	.
2	.	1
3	200	.
4	.	2
5	232	.
6	500	.
7	150	.
8	340	.
9	.	1
10	55	.
end

tabstat Inc if Inc < 200 & !missing(Inc), s(q) save
matrix mymatrix = r(StatTotal)
local mymedian1 = mymatrix[2,1]
replace Inc = `mymedian1' if Range == 1

tabstat Inc if Inc < 600 & Inc >= 200 & !missing(Inc), s(q) save
matrix mymatrix = r(StatTotal)
local mymedian2 = mymatrix[2,1]
replace Inc = `mymedian2' if Range == 2

list