Re: st: how to have commands in a loop (over strings) shown in log files, without using nested quotes

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: how to have commands in a loop (over strings) shown in log files, without using nested quotes
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:10:15 +0100

There are other ways to do it. I showed you one. But  " " " " must
always be a problem because you don't know if it is

left left right right

left right left right

That's why compound double quotes became necessary. If you use them a
lot, you get used to them.

If a loop is executed many, many times, as if often is, getting an
echo of each command each time would be a nightmare. You are at the
other end of the scale and Stata's default is not what you want. My
guess us that not many people are in your position, but I could be
very wrong.