Re: st: Stata 12 bug report: -rename- with wild card (*) used in do-file

From   daniel klein <>
Subject   Re: st: Stata 12 bug report: -rename- with wild card (*) used in do-file
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:33:07 +0200

can you show exactly what your do-file code looks like, or even better
show an example, replicating the problem?

This works in interactive mode, as well as in a do-file for me

forv j = 1/10 {
    g foo_bar`j' = .

ren (*_*) (*1_*)

Omitting parentheses is not a problem either. I am using Stata 12 on a
WinXP machine.

Hey folks

I was planning to use -renpfix- to change a series of variable
prefixes in my data file but noted that users are pointed toward using
-rename- instead. Fine .. Now, the issue is that I found that the
following command does the desired renames if I execute it
interactively in Stata 12, but not when I include it in a do-file:

rename *_* *1_*
The error message suggests the wild card * is an invalid name"=.
Am I missing something?