st: foreach loop

From   Lisa Wang <>
Subject   st: foreach loop
Date   Sun, 5 Aug 2012 12:03:46 +1000

Hi all,

Can someone please teach me as to why this is invalid:

local x 1 2 3 4
foreach x in 1/4 {
codebook a* if m_marks==`x'
tab a* if m_marks==`x'

I have been learning Stata for only a month, so any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. Or how to do it more elegantly would be great
as well.

I have 4 categories for m_marks only and I wanted to use a local to
loop over the codebook and tab functions for each category, instead of
typing it out 4 times.

Thank you,