Re: st: string variable

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: string variable
Date   Fri, 3 Aug 2012 08:41:12 +0100

My guess is that -wtmean()- is written for some version of Stata -- say around Stata 5 -- sufficiently old that by an old misfeature it behaves as if the quotation marks were stripped on parsing. I wrote an FAQ on this about 10 or 12 years ago, but can't find it using only a phone.

Your solutions include

 to rewrite -wtmean()-

to -encode- your string variable and work with the corresponding numeric variable (this is probably closest to what else you are doing)

to write a loop using -summarize- and -replace-

to use -statsby-.