AW: st: How to deal with commands that are too long for e(cmdline) when writting postestimation commands?

From   "Schmidt Alexander" <alexander.schmidt@wiso.uni-koeln.de>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   AW: st: How to deal with commands that are too long for e(cmdline) when writting postestimation commands?
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2012 18:35:54 +0200

Thanks to Maarten and Daniel.
You were right. Issue closed.

Best,
Alex

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] Im Auftrag von daniel klein
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 2. August 2012 17:55
An: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Betreff: Re: st: How to deal with commands that are too long for e(cmdline) when writting postestimation commands?

Alex,

e(cmdline) is macro, and therefore the 244 character limit does not exist here. You can store a command line as long as 165,000 characters  (given Stata IC).

You do not show any code, but my guess is that your are evaluating the contents of e(cmdline). See Cox (2008) on this issue.

If  you are using string functions, use extended functions (help
extended_fcn) or low level parsing commands (help gettoken, help
tokens) instead. Another alternative is to use Mata, as there are no limits for strings in Mata.

Best
Daniel

Cox, N., J. (2008). Stata tip 70: Beware the evaluating equal sign.
The Stata Journal, 8(4): pp. 586-587.
--
Dear Statalisters,

I am working on an ado that calculates influence statistics for higher-level clusters after hierarchical mixed models.
However, my question is pretty much independent of my ado.
My postestimation command needs to extract a list of all independent variables of the model and also some other elements from the command (options, random effects specifications etc.).

Everything works fine and I don't have a problem with the syntax.
My problem is simply that I don't know how to deal with command lines that exceed 244 characters. How do you deal with command lines that cannot be stored in e(cmdline)? Is there a way to get all the variables, options, etc. even if the command exceeds 244 characters?

Thanks,

Alex