[no subject]

The most obvious explanation is that you do have that __000003
variable present in your data set, for some strange reason (the data
set was saved while -tempvar- was created, but before it was cleaned
with an exit from a program). Sometimes, I do get something like that
with a complicated set of nested routines and some complicated
patterns of who creates and who cleans the -tempvar-s, although I
would expect that Stata would try to come up with the next available
-tempvar- name upon having checked that a variable already exists in
the data set. The conflict like that may also arise if you
deliberately drop a tempvar rather than let Stata do it. But it would
be strange if this error were in the official code.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM,  <> wrote:
> I am unable to run some -svy- related commands using one of my data
> sets. The puzzle is that I have no problems with similar commands
> applied to data from the Ref Manuals (cf. example below: uses
> "stage5a.dta").
> The issue: after -svyset-,  -svy: ...- commands produce a r(110) error
> [P]     error . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Return
> code 110
>         __________ already defined;
>         A variable or a value label has already been defined, and you
>         attempted to redefine it.  This occurs most often with
> But I had made no such attempt to redefine, as far as I know. With
> trace on-, it seems that the command applied to my data is choking
> it makes a call to -marksample-. There's an example below: uses
> "voldat.dta".
> In another example (not shown), I had been using -idonepsu- (command
> deal with singleton PSUs; on SSC), and also hit the same error, though
> this time with a call to -mark- according to a -set trace on-.  [Even
> more strangely (to me), I have a log file from a job also using
> -idonepsu and same data set, dated 6 Jul 2012, that ran without
> Any ideas?
> Stata 12MP/4, fully updated. Behaviour observed on Win7/64bit and Win
> XP/32bit
> . display "`c(tmpdir)'"
> C:\DOCUME~1\stephen\LOCALS~1\Temp/

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <>
Department of Social Policy
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, U.K.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7955 6527
Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain, OUP
Survival Analysis using Stata:
Downloadable papers and software: