st: RE: Labeling above the dot in -scatter-

From   Lance Erickson <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: Labeling above the dot in -scatter-
Date   Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:00:31 +0000

If I change -mlabposition(12)- to -mlabposition(1)- I think I get what you are describing. It looks like -mlabposition- uses the bottom of the words as the position reference rather than the middle of the words.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Augusto Cadenas
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 3:09 PM
Subject: st: Labeling above the dot in -scatter-

Dear all, in a scatter graph that I'm trying to draw, I would like the label of each observation to appear with vertical text, exactly above the dot of the scattergram. Unfortunately, if I choose the option "mlabposition(12)" (which in principle sounds like what I need) the text is placed on top of (and not above) the scatter dot, slightly to the left. To make a concrete example:

*** begin code
sysuse auto
keep in 1/10
twoway scatter mpg weight, mlabel(make) mlabposition(12) mlabangle(vertical)
*** end code

This should nicely visualize the problem. If I choose mlabposition(3) instead, this looks more like what I would like to get. The text starts exactly at the dot. Now I would like to have something like this, only moved 90 degrees counter-clockwise to the "12 o'clock"
position. The text, e.g. "Buick..." should begin right above the dot.
Is it possible to get that?

Thanks, Augusto