st: string comparision

From   tashi lama <ltashi32@hotmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: string comparision
Date   Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:24:02 +0000

Is there a direct way of listing variables matching all of the some of the strings, similar to sql functions "like" and "rlike" ? Here is my dataset say,

ID    Name
1     John Malda
2     Sam Houston

I would like to list Name var matching full or part of the string something like following

list if Name like "Jo"

I searched for previous posts related to above question and found some of the string-matching functions/commands like strgroup, reclink and strmatch. I can picture using strmatch to solve my problem but that wouldn't be direct in the sense, I will have to use loops and may be create indicator  variables to get my job done. But again, I can only picture at this point. Any folks know any direct and better options?

Thanx,
Tashi