st: displaying input lines while executing loops

From   László Sándor <>
Subject   st: displaying input lines while executing loops
Date   Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:07:30 -0400

Hi all,

I am using Stata MP 11.2 on Windows, and I'd like to come back to the
point of displaying commands (inputs) not just outputs while executing
a loop. (There was a thread on this before:

As a diligent follower of Kit Baum's advice (and many others' on this
list), I use loops all the time, not to code up analogous things
twice. But Stata just reporting barebones output does not help with
this. E.g. when I am merging in many-many files (over data sources and
over years), it is hard to keep track of the reports of the merges.

Exactly because I have much code in loops, I would not edit the
commands (in those loops) for this purpose. But is there another way?

Of course, -set trace on- gets me close, but even with -set tracedepth
1- the commands are traced in minute detail instead of just giving me
the command (input).

Thanks for any help with this,