Re: st: problem with marginal effect after running a logit regression

From   "Justina Fischer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: problem with marginal effect after running a logit regression
Date   Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:49:29 +0200

Hi Jeremy,

please do not forget to thank Rieza in your acknowledgement as  she resolved half of your problems of your master thesis.

Actually, I do think that with reading of some basic econometrics books + reading the xtensive Stata handbook on margins you should have been able to answer most of these questions all by yourself.

Justina
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:15:44 -0500
> Von: Rieza Soelaeman <[email protected]>
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: st: problem with marginal effect after running a logit regression

> Hi Jeremy,
> Your advisor is correct that the coefficients of a logistic regression
> cannot be interpreted in the same way as OLS.  Using the margins
> command allows for an estimation of the marginal effect (e.g. the
> increase in probability of your outcome = 1, here I assumed outcome is
> binary). One question for you: when your advisor meant by "at median,"
> did he mean at median values for all the characteristics in your
> model, or just the median level of education?
>
> If the specific effect of interest is going from mstudymid to
> mstudyhigh, I would suggest making mstudymid the reference category in
> your set of dummy variables for education.  Here I assume you have
> mstudylow as the reference (excluded) category.  If you make mstudymid
> your reference, then the marginal effect of mstudyhigh would be the
> marginal effect of going from mstudymid to mstudyhigh.  Similarly, the
> marginal effect of mstudylow would be the marginal effect of going
> from mstudylow to mstudymid.
>
> Typically, if your predictors are continuous, it makes sense to have
> Stata calculate marginal effects at the means of each value of your
> predictors. This can be achieved by executing the following command
> after running your regression:
>
> margins, atmeans
>
> However, because your predictors are categorical (or if you are using
> a version of Stata before Stata 12), you may be able to get away with
> specifying criteria for the "typical" individual in your dataset for
> which you are calculating the marginal effect.  Then justify the
> choices you made in describing the "typical" individual.
>
> For example, in your dataset, the "typical" individual may be a 35
> year old, male, who is a chief wage earner, with high education,
> mintpol = "mid", mpol = "right", and mincome = "high," then the
> command you would run would be something like:
>
> mfx, at (mstudymid=0 mstudyhigh=1 mhomme=1 mchiefwageearner=1 mage28_37=1
> mage38_47=0 mage48_57=0 .............. mincomehigh=1)
>
> *Note the ........... means you should assign a 0 or 1 value for your
> categorical predictors as appropriate to describe your person.
>
> I see there are several variables in your dataset that could benefit
> from being continuous, though.  If age were continuous, you can simply
> plug in the average age (from any of the univariate commands you can
> use to describe the mean of a vbl).  Same thing with income.  I think
> it would make your regression more robust to use the continuous.
>
> Of course using this method (with -mfx-) is complicated by the
> clustering in your data and the interactions between the cluster
> variables S003 and S002 (it appears to me these are polychotomous
> categorical variables, as you have used the i. in adding them to your
> [...]

Justina AV Fischer, PhD
COFIT Fellow
World Trade Institute
University of Bern

homepage: http://www.justinaavfischer.de/
e-mail: [email protected]. [email protected]
papers: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pfi55.html