st: count instances across a group of variables

From   "Fitzmaurice, A.E." <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: count instances across a group of variables
Date   Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:29:36 +0100

I have three variables coded 1 to 15, where the meaning of each of the codes is consistent across the three variables, what I would like to do is to produce output which uses information across all of the variables and gives me the number of time  value 1, value 2 etc occurs across the three variables

If possible I would also like to generate a variable (possibly in a new dataset) which contains this info

Is this possible in stata

Ann E Fitzmaurice  (PhD)
Medical Statistician
Immpact University of Aberdeen
Health Sciences Building
Aberdeen, AB25 2ZD
Tel: +44 (0)1224 438076
 Fax: +44 (0)1224

The University of Aberdeen Open Day
Tuesday 28th August 2012
8.45am - 3.30pm
For more information or to book a place, visit