st: Trouble compiling simple plugin

From   Aaron Kirkman <>
Subject   st: Trouble compiling simple plugin
Date   Thu, 26 Jul 2012 21:59:17 -0500

I'm running Stata 12 SE on a Linux system. I followed the tutorial for
creating simple plugins at this link:

I tried the simple example hello.c:

#include "stplugin.h"
STDLL stata_call(int argc, char *argv[])
    SF_display("Hello World\n") ;
    return(0) ;

That compiled fine with this command:
gcc -shared -DSYSTEM=OPUNIX -fPIC stplugin.c hello.c -o hello.plugin

According to the -adopath- command, \ado\updates and \ado\base are
both in the adopath, so I placed the plugin in \ado\base, but running

program hello, plugin

just returns an error of "Could not load plugin: .\hello.plugin" and
"r(9999)" Specifying the plugin directly by appending using returns
the same error:

program hello, plugin

Am I missing part of the process?