st: update - trouble with computing marginal effects after a Logit or an Ordered Logit model - Please HELP

From   Jeremy Franklin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: update - trouble with computing marginal effects after a Logit or an Ordered Logit model - Please HELP
Date   Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:32:41 +0200

Dear all,

Here is my little trouble regarding assessing marginal effects after running a logit model on STATA 11:

First, please not that I am a beginner with STATA and what follows might sound ridiculous

For my master degree thesis I decided to test for the role of education level in assessing the importance of fighting inflation.

Here is my final regression formula:

xi: logit mfirstchoice mstudymid mstudyhigh mhomme mchiefwageearner mage28_37 mage38_47 mage48_57 mage58 mintpollow mintpolmid mintpolhigher mpolleft mpolright mincomemid mincomehigh i.s003 i.s002 i.s003*i.s002, vce(cluster s003)

Note that:
- all these variables are binaries
- i.s003 controls for the country effects
- i.s002 controls for the wave (time) effects
- i.s003*i.s002 controls for the country-wave effects
- vce(cluster s003) characterizes the error term

I have the results but my thesis coordinator told me that the coefficients of logit regressions cannot be interpreted like coefficients of a linear regression. Therefore, he suggested me to check for the marginal effects at the median. The purpose of this last procedure (if I remember well) is to see the marginal effects of one individual having a higher level of education relative to lower or middle education level.

I googled everything, I read the mfx and the margins search page on stata about hundred times, I tried hundreds of formulas, both with mfx and margins but i still cannot find the correct one in order to interpret my results.

Can ANYONE help me please? It is very important

ps: a robustness test included in my thesis uses the following formula (this time with ologit as far as the dependent variable takes multiple ordered outcomes):

xi: ologit minflation mstudymid mstudyhigh mhomme mchiefwageearner mage28_37 mage38_47 mage48_57 mage58 mintpollow mintpolmid mintpolhigher mpolleft mpolright x047 i.s003 i.s002 i.s003*i.s002, vce(cluster s003)

So if it is easier to check for the marginal effects with a ordered logit please let me know.

Kind regards;

Franklin Jeremy