st: Weighting by State Population: Use iweight?

From   Robert Senser <rsenser@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Weighting by State Population: Use iweight?
Date   Thu, 26 Jul 2012 19:32:02 +0100

I am working on running a panel data regression that compares various
crime rates (dependent) to unemployment and income inequality
(independent). The panel consists of 50 states from 1976 to 2009. Most
of the previous literature when providing summary statistics and OLS
regression results simply state that the statistics and regressions
are "weighted by state population". I am very confused on how to
weight by state population. I do not think I need to use pweight or
aweight as the data is already aggregated by the US Census and Bureau
of Labor Statistics.Would I, therefore, use  the iweight command?
Could create a new variable that is the percent of the total US
population that a state posses and use this as the weight?

I am obviously farily new to stata and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!