st: averageifs function in Stata

From   Lisa Wang <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: averageifs function in Stata
Date   Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:18:07 +1000

Dear Stata-listers,

I am wondering how I can do something similar to an =averageifs
function from Excel in Stata. I know how to do this in Excel but would
like to learn this in Stata. I am new to Stata, so still often think
about how this would  be done in Excel.

I have variables id1 (string) and d_rates (values).

For example:
obs id1 d_rates
2 A56 89
3 A56 30
4 A56 78
5 A9876 42
6 A9876 86
8 B173 68
9 B173 47

etc...etc..

I would like some commands in Stata that produces a new variable or
some table where it can tell me what the average d_rates of person
A56, A9876, B173...etc. where there might be a different number of
observations for each id1 (eg. A56 has 4 obs and A9876 has only 2
obs)...

Is this possible?

Thank you for your consideration and time.

Regards,
Lisa