Re: st: Graphing

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: Graphing
Date   Tue, 24 Jul 2012 00:09:29 +0100

No; this won't do the counting that Aminu needs.

On 23 Jul 2012, at 23:40, wrote:

Hi Shittu,
I totally agreed with both William Buchana and Lars Folkestad. You need to look for help file for- graph bar. This is because you know what you really need. I think a command like this may help in the first part of your question:
.graph bar ranks, over(diseases, label(angle(45))) blabel(bar)

-----Original Message-----
From: "Shittu, Aminu" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:33:23

Dear Statalisters,

I have a qualitative data where 8 diseases ranked (1 (most- important) to 5 (least important)) based on perception - 37 subjects were interviewed so 37 records in the dataset. Please what Stata command should I use to plot a bar chart showing the count of responses per category for each disease. I will place diseases on my x-axis and disease ranks on the y-axis (starting with 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 from bottom to the top of the axis), and then stack 5 bars per disease showing the total counts on the top of each bar? I am also interested in the alternative plot of using a single multi-coloured bar per disease (y-axis), and the number of counts (x-axis), and then incorporate a key defining each of the colour.