st: RE: RE: RE: RE: reshape query?

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: reshape query?
Date   Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:10:39 +0100

Nick,

What can I say!!! Thank you very much, it worked a treat.

Best wishes

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 23 July 2012 13:27
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: rehape query?

Sounds like

rename m sexm
rename f sexf
rename _j agegrp
reshape long sex, i(id agegrp) string
rename sex population
rename _j sex

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Tim Evans
Sent: 23 July 2012 13:18
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: st: RE: RE: rehape query?

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your response. You are absolutely right, I do have f* for females and m* for males. I tried your example and it worked a treat. I'm struggling on the stacking of the m & f - despite the link to the help article.

I've tried a number of ways to get this, but am struggling:

reshape long m f, i(id _j) j( year) string year already defined -- data already long r(110);

reshape long m f, i(id _j) string
_j already defined -- data already long
r(110);

reshape long m f, i(m f) j(id) string
id already defined -- data already long
r(110);

reshape long m f, i(m f) j(p) string
no xij variables found
r(111);

Other than copying out and pasting over (which I'd prefer not to do), I cant see how I can get it to work.

Best wishes

Tim