RE: st: -traveltime-: "nes not found" error, and empty distances

From   Lance Erickson <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: -traveltime-: "nes not found" error, and empty distances
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:39:43 +0000

To my knowledge, this thread was not followed further than this.

The error "nes not found" occurs at least in cases when Google Maps returns an even number of hours (i.e., no minutes). Based on the time I spent working through this problem with my own data the last day or so, this seems to be when the travel time is more than 24 hours. A slight tweak in the original code of -traveltime- seemed to overcome the problem.

I also had the problem of missing distances. I didn't have similar problems when I have used the command in the past though. Another tweak in the -traveltime- code overcame this problem as well.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that the reason for these errors is that Google Maps has changed the way they report this information from the time -traveltime- was originally developed and that the code that once worked perfectly doesn't now. Perhaps it's time for the authors to submit an update to SSC? I'd be happy to  share with them what changes I made although I haven't spent much time checking to see how general of a fix I came up with.

Lance

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Saturday, June 23, 2012 9:47 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: -traveltime-: "nes not found" error, and empty distances

-traveltime- is from SJ 11-1.

A quick glance at the code throws no light on your problem; it's my recollection that Google Maps put limits on your download in any session.

You did not specify exactly what you typed: see explicit request at http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/#stata (3.3)

You are using a identifier including the word "Stata": see explicit request that you don't do that at http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/#tojoin (2.1.3)

If you don't get a better answer, I advise contacting the authors directly.

Nick