st: Problem selecting data range within a variable

From   "WAREHAM H.M." <helen.wareham@durham.ac.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: Problem selecting data range within a variable
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:57:35 +0100

I have some data and one of the variables I have put into deciles.  For an analysis I want to compare variables from the top 10% (decile 1) and the bottom 10% (decile 10) of the data but I can't work out how to get Stata to do that.

I'm very new to Stata so the more simple the explanation the better.

Thank you

Helen