Re: st: modifying egen to add a replace feature

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: modifying egen to add a replace feature
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2012 09:09:01 +0100

Not so. Writing a new -egen- function so that it takes a -replace-
option is not the issue here. -egen- will throw out the call if -y- is
an existing variable before the function code is even entered. The
issue is cloning -egen- to do the replacement.

As I've signalled elsewhere, I think  it is easiest just to -drop-
what you don't want and/or do a -replace- afterwards.