st: Rownames for tabulate from Stata macros?

From   "Kanter, Rebecca" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Rownames for tabulate from Stata macros?
Date   Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:27:38 -0400

I very much appreciate your help on this matter.

I am running a two-way (svy) tabulates such as:

svy: tabulate highested_level bmicat3

*where highested_level is a categorical variable with each category having its own variable label (0 "no education" 1 "primary" 2 "secondary" 3 "higher").

However, I cannot figure out how to store the rownames in macros such as can be done using tab-stat-example here:

. tabstat bmicat3, by(highested_level) save

Summary for variables: bmicat3
     by categories of: highested_level (highest educational level)

highested_level |      mean
   no education |  .3087435
        primary |  .3112224
      secondary |  .3200342
         higher |  .3525896
          Total |  .3136042

. return list

              r(name4) : "higher"
              r(name3) : "secondary"
              r(name2) : "primary"
              r(name1) : "no education"

Does anyone know how I can get similar macros r(name1), r(name2), r(name3), and r(name4) from the svy two-way tabulate??

I want to be able to run a tabulate loop on many variables without having to manually enter the rownames for each different categorical variable.

Thanks so much for your help,

Rebecca M. Kanter, PhD
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Department of International Health
Center for Human Nutrition