RE: st: RE: RE: predicted probabilities of interaction term

From   "Valle, Giuseppina" <gv08d@my.fsu.edu>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: predicted probabilities of interaction term
Date   Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:17:39 +0000

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking to accomplish -- thanks for the help!

Pina

Giuseppina Valle, M.S.
Department of Sociology
Doctoral Candidate
Florida State University
526 Bellamy Building
Tallahassee, FL 32306-2240

Email:   gv08d@my.fsu.edu

From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] on behalf of Richard Williams [richardwilliams.ndu@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:26 PM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu; statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: predicted probabilities of interaction term

At 10:49 AM 7/18/2012, Valle, Giuseppina wrote:
>Thank you for your help -- I was unaware that I needed to use the
>subpop command when looking at the gender differences with the svy
>command. In terms of the postestimation commands, I have not located
>any syntax available that will produced predicted probabilities of
>the interaction terms with a mlogit. I have 4 values for "race" and
>3 values for "relig." I assume that using prtab along with specified
>values of these two variables would not produce the estimates I am
>looking for, as that is the only command I have used for predicted
>probabilities.

If you want to get predicted values for individual cases use the
-predict- command. If, on the other hand, you want to get predicted
probabilities for certain combinations of values, check out the
margins command. e.g. do something like

webuse nhanes2f,clear
svy: mlogit health i.sex##i.race age
margins race#sex, predict(outcome(1)) atmeans
margins race#sex, predict(outcome(2)) atmeans
margins race#sex, predict(outcome(3)) atmeans
margins race#sex, predict(outcome(4)) atmeans
margins race#sex, predict(outcome(5)) atmeans

I believe that would more or less clone what -prtab- does, although I
personally might drop the -atmeans- option.

The margins command is powerful but complicated (and also a little
tedious with multiple outcome commands like mlogit). The current
issue of the Stata Journal has an article on it, and there is also a handout at

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/stats/Margins01.pdf

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu