st: unsort while merging

From   tashi lama <ltashi32@hotmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: unsort while merging
Date   Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:22:36 +0000

Hello,

     Stata sorts the variable after merging. I have a situation where I want to keep it the way it is(unsorted) after merge. Here is my dataset

Using dataset

id   name

1     Tom

2     Jack

3     Micheal

Master dataset

location   id

A           1

A           2

A           3

B           2

B           1
C           1
C           3

when I do   merge m:1 id using file1, keep(match)

         location   id      name        _merge |
  1. |        B    1       Tom   matched (3) |
  2. |        C    1       Tom   matched (3) |
  3. |        A    1       Tom   matched (3) |
  4. |        B    2      Jack   matched (3) |
  5. |        A    2      Jack   matched (3) |
  6. |        A    3   Michael   matched (3) |
  7. |        C    3   Michael   matched (3) |

As can be seen, the master dataset is grouped by location. After merge the group is broken since merge has sorted id. Immediate thought is to merge by group but merge doesn't allow by. I don't care much if it sorts inside the group location like follows. Any idea...

A   1     Tom

A   2      Jack

A   3      Michael

B   1      Tom