Re: st: creating a new variable

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: creating a new variable
Date   Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:37:12 +0200

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Amal Khanolkar wrote:
> What I would like to do is to create a single continuous variable that would give me the mean birth weight for each gestational week so that I don't have to look at it individually as above. I would like to ideally be able to use this variable in scatter plots.

Here are two ways of creating such variables:

*-------------- begin example ------------------
sysuse nlsw88, clear

// method 1
bys grade : egen mean1 = mean(wage) if grade < .

// method 2
regress wage i.grade
predict mean2

// check that these methods are equivalent
assert mean1 == mean2
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see: )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen