Re: st:graph mean with missing groups

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st:graph mean with missing groups
Date   Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:18:19 +0100

This seems puzzling and contradictory to me, which may explain the
lack of replies.

If groups are empty then the mean of any other variable is undefined
and Stata's refusal to plot the mean is reasonable. It is unknown, or
missing, and not 0.

On the other hand if what Amanda wants is some kind of histogram or
bar chart, then that can be obtained directly e.g. by -histogram- or
-twoway histogram- and Stata will show empty groups as having zero
frequency, or percent, or density. Such a histogram can be forced to a
line chart by e.g.

twoway histogram ... , recast(line)

Nick