st: If variable x contains variable y

From   <john.guzek@lshtm.ac.uk>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: If variable x contains variable y
Date   Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:51:32 +0100

Hello,

This is my first time using statalist, I hope I do this all correctly!

I'm looking to create a variable x which is equal to y, but only if the given value for y can be found in another variable, z. These are all id numbers, so say y is a universal id and z is a mother's id, telling you the universal id of the mother in relation to the child.

For example:

yzx

1..
2.2
3.3
42.
5..
6..
737
8..
9..
107.

So I'm trying to figure out how to create x. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
John