st: RE: Getting Started with ineqdeco

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Getting Started with ineqdeco
Date   Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:33:51 +0100

The Pedant did of course mean to say that there 9 deciles (not 99);
there are 99 percentiles.

More constructively, on the substantive question of "what to do given
the data to hand?":

The median of the poorest fifth is the 10th percentile (p10) and the
median of the richest fifth is the 90th percentile (p90).  The ratio
p90/p10 is commonly used, at least by many labo(u)r economists, to
summarise inequality.  So you could calculate that measure for each
community, and plug that rather than Gini coefficients into whatever
subsequent analysis you are doing.

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Department of Social Policy and STICERD
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Tel: +44(0)20 7955 6527
Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain, OUP
2011, http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199226436.do
Survival Analysis Using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/survival-analysis
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html