RE: st: RE: Calculating compound interest using loops?

From   Lance Erickson <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Calculating compound interest using loops?
Date   Tue, 10 Jul 2012 19:29:12 +0000

Thanks. The payment is a constant throughout the life of the loan in this case and is taken directly from the dataset. Did you mean the line

. local interest = 0

isn't necessary? There may be another way to do it, but I included that because without it the line

. gen int`i' = (principal - (payment*`j') + `interest') * rate

evaluates in the first instance to

. gen int1 = (principal - (payment*0) +  ) * rate

If you don't define the local interest with a value it returns a blank which causes a syntax error. An initial value of 0 solves the syntax problem and still provides a correct calculation.

Lance