st: Can the viewer window be rendered by Firefox instead? And other speech recognition tips

From   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Can the viewer window be rendered by Firefox instead? And other speech recognition tips
Date   Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:12:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello there,

I have a question that is relevant to speech recognition users like myself. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking for controlling Windows, but this would apply to other speech recognition engines as well.

It is particularly challenging to navigate the viewer window in Stata using speech recognition, e.g., to navigate the help screens on various commands. Because the viewer window looks and behaves very much like a browsing window with hyperlinks, etc., I am wondering if anybody is aware of a way to have this window navigated via Firefox instead. This would make it accessible to speech recognition users because the mouseless browsing Firefox add-on permits clicking on links via numeric keyboard entry, which can be simulated very efficiently with speech recognition.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Finally, if there any other speech recognition users that use Stata I would welcome any tips they can share that can improve speech accessibility for this software. After all these have been sent in, I volunteer to maintain them and organize them going forward so that they can be shared with any other user.

Thank you for your time.