Re: st: Structural breaks in panel data

From   Benedikt Achatz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Structural breaks in panel data
Date   Wed, 04 Jul 2012 15:48:25 +0200

Hello Tanja,

I am not sure that I get your question completely, but here is what I think you are asking for: If you look at interaction variables, you are looking at what the effect of x1 is in each period; if you look at the effects of dummy variables itself, you look at what influence the time period has on the outcome in each period. So, if x1 is the number of hours spent on education in a time period, then the coefficent of x1*P1 would tell you the effect one more unit of education has in that time period on the outcome (let's say monthly income). The coefficent of P1, however, would give you the effect of the period itself on the outcome (for instance, monthly income is likely to increase with time occupied, regardless of education) If coefficents are insignifcant, they are just that, as with any other regression model... Whether you want to include dummies themselves or just the interaction variables is, as far as I know, up to you. It doesn't hurt to write up a do file that does both and compare the results, though.
Hope this helps!