st: how to attach labels to string values

From   Stephen Martin <>
Subject   st: how to attach labels to string values
Date   Wed, 4 Jul 2012 12:13:43 +0100

I have a variable with a three digit hospital operation code.  The
first digit is always a letter and the other two digits are always
numeric (eg A10, R45, V89).

I have another file with a very brief description of the meaning of
each of these codes.  I would like to use this information to attach
labels to the operation code but the latter are not integers so I
believe that I can't use label define lblname # "label" [# "label"

Is there an easier way around this apart from, say, replacing the
first digit in the operation code with a number (i.e., replace A with
1, B with 2,...)?