Re: st: matrix colnames manipulation

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: matrix colnames manipulation
Date   Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:20:44 +0200

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM,  <> wrote:
> I want to use estimates derived using -xtprobit- as starting values for
> estimation using -gllamm, family(binomial) link(probit)
> from(mat_start)-. (-gllamm- is on SSC.)  To use the "from" option, I
> want to manipulate the full column names of the e(b) matrix produced by
> -xtprobit-. The issue is that -gllamm- labels the column corresponding
> to the variance of the random effect differently to -xtprobit-. So,
> specifically, how, within a long list of colnames stored with a macro,
> does one change the final name?

What about the following solution:

*---------------------- begin example ------------------------
local coln `"bu_SA:Lfemale bu_SA:Ledq_low lnsig2u:_cons"'
local coln : subinstr local coln "lnsig2u:_cons" "pid1:_cons"
di "`coln'"
(For more on examples I sent to the Statalist see: )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen