st: RE: xtivreg2, robust error

From   "Schaffer, Mark E" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: xtivreg2, robust error
Date   Mon, 2 Jul 2012 15:56:03 +0100

This means "robust to autocorrelation but NOT heteroskedasticity",

"fe gmm2s bw(3) robust"

means "robust to autocorrelation AND heteroskedasticity".

> In some cases I get more efficient results (smaller standard
> error) when specifying "fe gmm2s bw(3) robust" than without
> the "robust"
> requirement.
> How could this be explained?

You can't safely interpret the differences in this way.  The theoretical
results for efficiency of the 2-step GMM estimator are asymptotic, i.e.,
as the sample size goes to infinity.  What happens in the real world,
with finite samples, can be different.

> Thanking you
> --
> Ari Dothan
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

registered under charity number SC000278.