Re: st: likihood function is not concave in clogit model

From   Nina YIN <>
Subject   Re: st: likihood function is not concave in clogit model
Date   Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:09:05 +0200

Hi Maarten,

I am sorry that I didn't make it clear. Here the group identifier is
the identifier for choice situations. Therefore, it is constant within
one choice situation. I guess it's the same reason as in mixlogit or
conditional fixed logit model that we couldn't include individual
characteristics because of no within-group variance, right?

You are right, I might made some mistakes in my data preparation and
model. I will check that and discuss with others. Thanks a lot!

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Maarten Buis <> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Nina YIN wrote:
>> As you suggested, I tried use products and year fixed effect
>> separately, however, it says that the year dummies omitted because of
>> no within-group variance.
>> The year dummies is the same as individual attributes which cannot be
>> added in this type of model, right?
> That really depends on your data and your model, but to me it sounds
> like you did something(*) wrong. I would not expect time to be
> constant within an individual.
> -- Maarten
> (*) The problem is that that "something" could be just about anything,
> from a problem in the data preparation, to model specification, and
> anything in between. Diagnosing such vague problems is much much
> easier in a face-to-face setting than via forum like statalist. So I
> would recommend to find someone within your institute that can help
> and make an appointment with him or her. Be prepared to leave that
> appointment with an entirely different model.
> --------------------------
> Maarten L. Buis
> Institut fuer Soziologie
> Universitaet Tuebingen