st: Troubleshooting comparison of means across groups

From   "Kerry MacQuarrie" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Troubleshooting comparison of means across groups
Date   Thu, 28 Jun 2012 10:12:47 -0400

Hi all,

I am trying to run t tests to compare means of some (continuous) variables
across groups.  However, I'm running in to some puzzling error messages.

If I run the code ttest varname by(groupvar), I get: "factor variables and
time-series operators not allowed".  Any ideas on where to start looking to
troubleshoot this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kerry MacQuarrie
NSF Fellow and CSDE Trainee